First Step to take: Before diving into any battery issues on the bike, we recommend first cleaning the bike. Many minor issues on the bike can be a result of dirt and other weather-related effects that can give results that appear to cause defects. Occasional cleaning of your bike can help it run at higher peak performances. We recommend the following:
- Wipe the frame down with a Windex
- Clean the rotors with Isopropyl Alcohol
- Water can be used as a substitute for either of these cleaning actions.
Overview: Each bike comes with the battery preinstalled in the bike. All bikes also come with a key ring with a set of 2 keys to unlock the battery. Our RUSH/CTY models will have an additional key ring with 2 keys as these bikes come with a glove compartment as well (a total of 4 identical keys for all RUSH/CTY models). All keys that come with the bike will unlock the battery.
To take your bike battery out, insert the key into the designated key lock on the bike (located just above and slightly to the left of the charging port) and turn the key clockwise 180 degrees. Once the key is turned the full 180 degrees, you should hear a click that will detach the lock and release the battery. A few notes to consider while taking your battery out.
- Make sure the key you are using is the correct key for your bike. Every key is keyed different. Customers/Dealers with multiple bikes are recommended to label each key with the appropriate bike it is associated with.
- Make sure the key is fully inserted to the bike before turning the key. Partially inserted keys or fully inserted keys that do not turn the full 180 degrees could result in a key braking or becoming damaged.
- Once the correct key is inserted fully in the bike, apply light pressure down on the front of the battery to release some of the pressure on the key. By adding this additional pressure downward on the front of the battery, a correct key properly inserted should be able to turn and release the battery.
- Once the battery is released, turn the key back (counterclockwise) a full 180 degrees and take the key out of the key lock.
If you need help and following steps above do not work, the key being used does not turn the lock, or if you feel uncomfortable doing any of the information above, please contact Serial 1 Support (firstname.lastname@example.org) and one of our representatives can walk you through a step-by-step detailed instruction list to get your battery out of your bike. In your email please provide the following information:
- Serial number of the bike (this can be found on the bottom-side of the chainstay on the left-hand side (opposite the chainstay) underneath the “Harley” in the Harley-Davidson logo. This is a white sticker.
- Provide the model and size of the bike. (i.e., Large MOSH/CTY or small RUSH/CTY STEP THRU)
- Order Number (if applicable)
- Dealership Name (if purchased through a dealership)
- Best shipping address to send a replacement part (if needed)